The Benefits of Water Aerobics and How to Get Started
Aerobic exercise is important at all points in life as it calls on the body to use oxygen to meets its energy demands. This type of exercise can range from low to high intensity, but it will nearly always raise the heart rate, resulting in a myriad of great results.
The Many Benefits of Water Aerobics for Seniors
When you participate in water aerobics, you are able to combine the benefits of aerobic activity with the benefits of working out in the water. Here are just a few of the advantages you will discover with this workout.
- You will stay cool and sweat-free while working out in water.
- Water keeps much of the pressure off your joints, which is excellent for arthritis sufferers.
- You will burn plenty of calories, which could help you lose weight.
- Pressure from water gives your bones and muscles a great workout without adding extra weight.
- Your heart and lungs will strengthen and build endurance.
- You will get to work on your balance.
- You may be able to lower your anxiety and improve your mood.
- It is a fun class environment.
Getting Started with Water Aerobics
To get started with water aerobics, all you will need is a swimming pool and a swimming suit. Many community centers offer this as a regular group class, and all you will have to do is sign up and pay the registration fee. Make sure that you know whether you should wear sunscreen, and consider wearing water shoes to further protect your joints. As you work out, try to keep your arms and legs straight, which will increase the muscle burn. Because you are in the water, you may forget about hydrating your body from the inside out, but you should remember to drink plenty of water following your class.